Drivers Report :- Silverstone

Tim Sweet was invited to drive Perry Waddams Group “B” Tuscan and this is his take on his weekend………
I arrived Friday evening to see all the pit garages & cars set up and it felt good especially being in the Silverstone garages for the weekend, I think this was a first for me! It was great to be introduce to the team and other drivers and then given an outline for the next days start time and schedule which all felt very professional, I left there to try and get a good nights sleep to arrive bright an early for the following day.
I arrived for the first fully day of racing in the car and I’m not going to lie I was feeling a bit nervous after a lot of guys had tested the previous day! We got the car set up for me with minor adjustments on the harnesses and mirrors.Phil my Mechanic for the weekend knows his stuff and had put some good settings on the car for me to try in qually. This is when I met the TVR D.T.E.C. organizer and I’ve raced in a few different series now and been made to feel very welcome but I didn’t think it possible but he went one step more and made me feel right at home!
I do feel it always leaves you playing catch up a bit when the qualifying is also your first test session in the car but I soon started to get the hang of the car with turn in, grip levels and how soon the tyres came on. Must admit the brakes did take a while to get use to,not having a servo ,made them difficult to get spot on and I still feel there’s more to learn with them. I managed to hook onto the back of Andy Race in car 89 who team Crowthorne shared a garage with for the weekend, for a lap or 2 to try and perfect some of my lines then settled down to see how I could qualify, I manage to qualify with the 4th quickest time for a Class B car only missing out on 3rd by 0.3 seconds which felt good about as I knew I could still find some more time.
On the last few laps of qualifying I was aware of smoke coming from the car which my pit crew set to work on as soon as the car came back to the pits, they continued working on the car until the start of race 1. The car was breathing heavy and losing oil from the Valley gasket but we decided to see how it would perform in the race after some repair work and set out onto the grid. Coming round onto the start line I did a couple of practice starts to try and get use to the triple plate clutch and after warming the tyres and brakes on the green flag lap I felt confident of a good start. Waiting for the lights to go out always seems to take forever but then they finally did and I was off, I had a great start and managed to get the inside line for the first corner and managed to take 3 places from my starting position and I was on a high! There were a couple of spinners on the first lap and decided to go slightly off track to avoid damage to the car, after getting back on the track I set about trying to catch the 3rd place Class B car but after a few laps it was evident the car was lacking power and starting to smoke heavily again so I decided to pull the car into the pits and retire to save any further engine damage.
If I’m being honest I thought it might be race weekend over but all my thanks and praise goes to the Crowthorne  team as they were starting to strip the engine down straight away and I knew they were going to make every effort to get it fixed! Not to hinder them I left them to it saying “I would see them in the morning and would keep my fingers crossed”
Start of race day 2 I got to the track feeling ok with whatever outcome would be from the teams monster efforts, I got to the garage with Perry saying they couldn’t promise any good news until the car was out on track performing as it should, but they had found both head gaskets had blown and with the new ones in place it was looking promising. fortunately we had a free 20 mins practice session on Sunday morning and I took the car out on track and it felt great and even with my balaclava and helmet on I was grinning ear to ear and set about improving my times, I managed to find the extra lap time that would have put me in 3rd in Class B so I had renewed confidence for race 2.
Race 2 was my first ever Wet tyre / Slick tyre call and with the circuit fully wet 1 hour before our race was due to start it was a difficult call, after some advice from the team especially Phil and yes the flick of a coin I decided on the dry / slick setup which turned out to be definitely the right call! Going round onto the grid I was side by side with my team mate and team owner Perry so the pressure was on to get a good start in front of the boss! Had another good start but got boxed in a little by a Class A car who had lit  up the rear tyures on the start line, I managed to get inside 2 cars on the first corner again. I felt I could push on really well early on as the tyres seemed to have plenty of grip and I managed to get the guys running 2nd and 3rd in Class B in my sights and I couldn’t believe it I was actually catching them on braking, I was trying to brake later and later but unfortunately I had a big lock up and flat spotted the tyre and found it really hard to pull the car up after that so ended up dropping back off the 2rd & 3rd place guys. After a few more laps the braking didn’t seem to judder as much so I was able to push on again and then I saw the car in Class B P3 had spun I went by and managed to keep putting in consistent times to finish 3rd best Class B car and 8th overall which is definitely better than I had dreamed of at the start of the weekend!
It felt so good to be on the podium again spraying Champagne and coming away with 2 Trophies is unbelievable, so best go out and see if I can find some money to do it all over again!

Comments are closed.